Course: You can't get any flatter than this. Basically a big rectangle with a few turns here and there to make it 5K. The best part is the finish on the track.
Finish: 13th overall, 18:08 (5:50 per mile pace)
At the start of the race I was really afraid that although I felt great just 6 days after the marathon, I was going to put myself into a world of hurt if I pushed myself. When I saw that I was comfortably within reach of the lead group about 1/4 mile into the race, I knew I was going too fast. There were a few people that I could key off of, and keep myself honest at the same time. I backed off to a more reasonable pace, or at least I thought so. Up until this point, the best first mile in any race I had run was 5:55 or thereabouts. I came through the first mile in an astounding 5:45. Definitely too fast. But I was feeling great, and didn't want to back down too much. I passed a few more people, kept good form, and tried to do some calculations in my head to help pass the time. If you run, you know what I mean. You go through all the possible "If I run the next half in 2:50, I can relax the following half, and then bring it home in XX:XX". Mile 2 was 5:50. 11:35 overall, probably 18th place at this point. Worked my way up to next few people, and entered the track area with two guys in front. The "announcer" chose to put my name on the PA system for people to cheer on...giving me that little extra boost of energy to finish the last 300 in 50 seconds, give or take 5 seconds. Felt great afterwards, cooled down with 2.5 miles along side Sheen and David Watkins...great people, get to know them if you get the chance.
The worries about post Chicago were definitely put to rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment