Sunday, May 13, 2007

Motor City Striders 1 mile and 10K

I had no idea what kind of "mile" shape I was in, so I thought it would be best to get out there and test things out.

The first "lap" was around the Berkley High track, then you exit the track and go to the parking lot, swing right and straight down...to no one...then a car came flying up, a guy jumps out of the car, and yells "Around ME!"...that was apparently the half. A quick look at my watch, it's 2:37 and I don't feel like I'm dead. Shocking isn't it? If I kept that up, I'd run 5:14. Then we turned around after nearly coming to a stop, and headed back to to the track. We came in to the track and I purposely held back without ever picking it up, fading to a 5:34 according to my watch. That's a 2:57 last half. It felt like 2:57...SLOW. I didn't push, and I certainly didn't try to get after the two guys in front of me. I'm dead certainly I would have toasted the guy a few seconds ahead of me. Had I gone when I was supposed to, first place would have been mine, and a decent 5:14 would have been wrapped up.

The 10K was run as if I were out for a stroll. The first 5K I came through at 21:46...just above 7:00/mi pace. I saw T. Rizer ahead in the distance, so I figured she'd probably enjoy the company/help at the end. I picked up the pace just a little and brought her in for the last mile in about 6:35. My last 5K split was 20:49.

No comments: