Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Grosse ILE 8K - 31:39


Grosse ILE 8K
Originally uploaded by Auberon.

May 28, 2007 @ 9:00AM

Warmed up with the 1 Mile fun run, and added two laps on the track.

Mile 1: 5:58
Went out what felt to be a comfortable pace. Looked up ahead and could still see the Hansons Guys, so I knew I was probably going a little too fast, and backed down just before hitting the mile mark. I know I'm in much better shape than I have been in three years, but I'm not sub 6 yet....I'm getting there.

Mile 2: 6:25 Much more comfortable at this pace. Where the first mile had a decent hill on it, mile 2 was much flatter and pretty much a straight shot, felt I could have run this pace for 10K.

Mile 3: 6:23 Some slight up and down, with twists and turns, trying to stay settled into a nice routine, nothing hard about this mile, just running nice and relaxed and remembering to keep my stride open.

Mile 4: 6:37 Somewhere in here there's 3 or 4 bigger hills on a single track inside the woods, with a really steep downhill that could hammer your quads if you let it, followed up with a gradual uphill the rest of the way to the marker.

to the Finish: 6:13 Nothing special here, it equates to roughly 6:24/mile pace. There's about 1/2 of one mile that is a gradual incline, but nothing to cry about. Myself and two other guys finished together, separated by 1.6 seconds in total. I thought I'd have a sprint for the finish, but with the heat and the refusal of all drink stations (I think there were 7 stations) I pretty much had a strong stride out, and not much more.

This was the first time I raced twice in one weekend.
5K in 19:26 (missed PR by 34 seconds) and 8K in 31:39 (PR by 40 seconds)...overall very happy with the results.

This coming weekend will be the Dodge Park 5K. I plan on going out 6:10 in the first mile, 6:10 in the second mile, and then see if I can run as hard as possible through the finish. This race will mark the end of my spring/summer racing season. June 3rd marks the beginning of my marathon training.

No comments: